Friday 12 April 2013

Support Your Favourite Charity

The new monthly challenge begins today at Sweet Pea Stampers and the theme is "Support Your Favourite Charity". To enter the challenge you need to make a card, or other project, that in some way supports or relates to your favourite charity.
 
 
For my card I've used this gorgeous digi image (also available in red rubber) by Rebecca Sinz called Sweet Demon. I've also used a fabulous quote stamp that I saw in a craft shop a few months back and just had to get as it tickled my sense of humour. :) It's also very appropriate for this card, in more ways than one.
 
The charity to which my card relates is Arthritis Research UK (previously known as the Arthritis Research Council) and this charity is close to my heart for a good reason...
 
I was first diagnosed with arthritis at the age of 2. It went into remission when I was 4 and my parents were told different things by different doctors... some said I was more likely to get arthritis as an adult and at a younger than usual age, others said juvenile arthritis was completely different and I was no more likely to get adult arthritis as anyone else.
 
Turns out the first lot were right. I developed arthritis in my 20s, initially in one knee and I now have it in both. It's not as bad as some sufferers (and thankfully it's not rheumatoid) but it does affect my mobility and has a direct impact on my daily life.
 
 
The reasons I chose this image and this quote for my card are many. I love the Rebecca Sinz image and the contrast of her demonic wings and her cuddling a bunny. The cuteness and bunny-cuddling kind of ties into the quote, the with idea of not wanting to be a grown up. :) And from a personal perspective, the pose of the character says a lot to me about my arthritis... cos I would never in a million years be able to sit like that! :lol: I doubt I could even get into that position (kneeling down and sitting back on her heels) and if I managed to I would be in a lot of pain and would find getting back up even more difficult than getting there in the first place! In fact, it's a sad fact of my life for many years now that I avoid kneeling down at all unless there's no other choice. So when I coloured this image with my Promarkers, I gave her my red hair (not that I'd ever look that good in a skimpy dress! :lol:).
 
 
And as for the quote, aside from the fact that it makes me laugh, it says a lot, I think, about what it's like having a condition like arthritis as a (relatively) young person. Most peope seem to assume that arthritis is an old person's disease and would never think that someone in their 20s, or even 30s, would have it. And as a child you really don't expect to have painful, stiff joints and to be unable to kneel down or sit comfortably on the floor when you're only in your 20s, or 30s.
 
So that's why I made this card and why it is in support of Arthritis Research UK. :)
 
The challenge will run for a month and you don't have to use a Sweet Pea Stamps product to enter - though obviously we would love to see your Sweet Pea creations and entries using a Sweet Pea product will be given an extra chance in the prize draw.

I'm going to enter this card into a couple of challenges:
Passion for Promarkers - Cut Out Your Image
 
 

2 comments:

Krystyna said...

Thanks so much for your support, Ali!
Krystyna (social media manager, Arthritis Research UK)

The Crafty Den said...

Hi Ali, what a gorgeous card and for such a great cause. I love your cut out image and your colouring is perfect (the red hair looks fab). Thanks for joining us at PFP this week. Hugs, Denise x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...