Friday 9 November 2012

Tea for two...

...and a gift for you! :)
 
I have a cute and easy project to share with you today for the Creative Craft World Christmas Countdown... a simple but effective gift box:
 
 
This is so easy to make, all you need is one sheet of double-sided 12x12" patterned paper (you need a good weight, cardstock-like paper, nothing too flimsy), a scoring tool, a hole punch and a length of ribbon or lace.
 
To make this gift box, take your sheet of 12x12" paper and score it at 4" and 8" in both directions, effectively dividing the sheet into nine 4x4" squares.
 
 
 
Next you need to score a diagonal line in from each corner (scoring only until you reach the junction of the vertical/horizontal scored lines). If you have a scoreboard with diagonal lines on it, this is really handy for this step. If not, you can use a ruler.
 
The scored lines don't show too well on the patterned side of the paper I've used but here's how they look on the reverse side:
 
 
Now just fold along the scorelines as shown below - the vertical/horizontal lines are folded valley fold and the diagonal lines are folded mountain fold:
 
 
Bring the corners up to meet in the centre and that's how your finished gift box will look. To hold the box in place, just punch a hole near each corner (not too close as you don't want it to tear through):
 
 
Then thread ribbon/lace/fabric of your choice through the four holes, pull the corners up together and tie the fabric closed. And that's your completed gift box:
 
 
 
I added a gift tag with stamped sentiment onto my lace ribbon before tying it closed.
 
 
 
These quick and easy gift boxes make a lovely gift for friends or family members. I filled my gift box with aromatic tea bags, coffee and hot chocolate sachets, and a helping of marshmallows for an indulgent treat, but you could fill it with seed packets, sweets, crafty goodies, anything you like!
 
I hope you enjoyed my little tutorial - don't forget to check the Creative Craft World blog again tomorrow for more Christmas Countdown projects. :)

10 comments:

susibee said...

This is a fab, simple idea and one I'm sure I'll use often. Thanks Ali.

catherine said...

This looks like a really great idea Ali and must think about it for xmas. thanks for sharing
x catherine

MiniOwner said...

Oooh Ali, these are brilliant! I'll certainly be having a go. :o)
Sue x

House of Bears said...

What a great project idea and a lovely present. We think we'd fill ours with chocolate, and keep it on our desk to dip into as we craft!

Unknown said...

What a great simple idea that is so effective and looks so complicated at the start. Thanks for sharing it :)

Dawn said...

Fabulous idea, just perfect for a gift I need to make for christmas, bought a mug and now I can add all the goodies and present it to them!

MiniOwner said...

Ali, my sister, new to papercrafting, has sent me a photo of a box she's made following your tutorial. She's really pleased with it. Thank you. It's on my blog.
Sue x

Lou said...

Gorgeous Ali I will be having a go xx

Tracy said...

Great idea and tutorial, will be having a go for the tea jennies in the family!!
Thanks for the inspiration
Hugs
Tracy
xoxo

Trish said...

Gosh that's clever (and looks easy!) - love it!
Trish x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...