Friday 2 November 2012

Fun With FIMO

I like playing with FIMO. I think it takes me back to my childhood days of Playdoh. :)
 
But unlike Playdoh, with FIMO you can heat set your creations so they maintain their shape. Which means it's ideal for making your own embellishments! :)
 
So for my first project for Creative Craft World's Christmas Countdown, that's exactly what I did.
 
I used white FIMO and started off by working it well to get it nice and soft. I then rolled it out thinly on my craft mat.
 
 
Next up I pressed stamps into the rolled-out FIMO to add some texture. I used some snowflake stamps.
 
 
I then used a small star-shaped cookie cutter to carefully cut shapes from the rolled out FIMO.
 
 
 
Next, as a bit of an experiment, I added some glitter. You can mix FIMO colours by simply working them together (you can work them together completely for a solid colour or mix them partially for a nice marbled effect) so I thought I'd try working glitter into the FIMO for a nice touch of sparkle.
 
 
I stamped into the sparkled FIMO again and this time hand-cut out a star shape using a craft knife.
 
 
 
 
Then it's just a matter of baking the FIMO in the oven, as per instructions (no more than 30 mins at 110C) and leaving to cool before adding to your craft projects... like this:
 
 
 
 
This card was a very simple make - the background is made with Distress Inks and water, matted onto silver textured card. I added my FIMO embellishments and finished off with a stamped greeting, embossed with white embossing powder.
 
I also used up the remnants of the sparkled FIMO I'd mixed using some pretty push molds:
 
 
This is a very quick and easy way to make embellishments, which can then be used to great effect on your papercraft creations, like this simple monochrome christmas card:
 
 
 
Or this cute little notecard:
 
 
 
That's it for my Christmas Countdown creations for today. Don't forget to check the Creative Craft World blog every day for new inspirational projects. :)

11 comments:

Lou said...

Ali they're gorgeous might have to try this as got some fimo somewhere :) thank you for sharing.

Lou x

Sarah said...

Ali - these are fab - may just have to give this a go!!! Hugs Sarah x x

Sue Jones said...

They look great - I have a tub full of fimo somewhere AND some push molds - its SO old though not sure it would still be okay.
I love what you have done :)

susibee said...

These are lovely - I especially like the flower centres, they are so cute.

Sarah's Little Snippets said...

I must get my Fimo out and give it a try Ali! Really love the flower mold and the glittery heart. Sarah x

MiniOwner said...

Oh yes I just so happen to have a block of white Fimo I bought for a long-forgotten idea. I will definitely have a go - these are gorgeous.
Sue x

Unknown said...

Oh wow, these are gorgeous :)

I want to run and get fimo right now for my christmas cards :)

Christine said...

Great idea - never thought of adding glitter to my fimo :) Thanks for sharing. Lovely work x

okienurse said...

WOW Ali you are a clever girl! Love those snowflakes all stamped and glittered! Thanks for sharing.

*Nora* said...

Hi Ali! Just got round to see the countdown posts, I think I'm in love with Fimo! Not to mention your gorgeous, gorgeous creations too. I especially love the distress ink background card! Beautiful!

Tracy said...

Love using fimo and haven`t tried the glitter,loove the effect and will be having a go..loving the christmas countdown!!
xoxox

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...