Wednesday 21 March 2012

Watery Wearable Art

The current challenge at the Stampotique Designers Challenge blog is to create some wearable art. As soon as I saw the theme, I had an idea. I had an image in my head of the effect I wanted to create with this project and I'm pleased to say that it came out pretty much exactly as I imagined:

I've had this rectangular pendant (from Crafty Individuals) sitting around for ages and it was perfect for what I wanted to do with this project. It comes with a bevelled glass insert but I decided to use UTEE instead to fill the frame. My idea was to use my Smushallaum mermaid stamp and create a sort of underwater scene - so I cut a piece of card to fit in the frame and made a shimmery, watery background using Dylusions spray inks. I stamped the Smushallaum image onto card and painted her with more Dylusions spray inks before cutting her out and attaching to the background. This was glued into the tray, and then came the really fun part! I started adding layers of UTEE, sprinkling in some fine peacock-coloured glitter as it melted, for that added underwater shimmer. I also added a couple of green gem "bubbles" into the UTEE here and there. I kept going until the tray was filled and then left it to cool.

I love how this looks! I think it has the shimmery, slightly distorted underwater feel that I was going for and I love how the gems encased in the UTEE catch the light in different ways as you turn the piece. Photos really don't do justice to how it shimmers and catches the light as it moves. I am so pleased with this that I'm wearing it as I type! :) I think I may make some more pendants using UTEE in this way, it's a really effective technique.

The Stampotique Designers Challenge is also holding a Guest Designer call - I luuuurve Stampotique stamps so am entering this piece for the GD call as well.. I hope they like it as much as I do! :)

20 comments:

VickiA said...

She looks stunning Ali. Good luck in the GD call!

Astrid Stulemeijer (AssiCrafts) said...

Love it! This is really fab! xoxo

Reflective Art Studio said...

I love this and that stamp.
I have her on my stamp wishlist.
Very Lovely.
Sarinda

Glen said...

I LOVE that piece of art Ali. I am not a fan of Stampotique but I do like to see what others do with their stamps. The colours are fab and I do like the sparkly/watery effect. TFS and thank you for visiting my blog and leaving a lovely comment. *Ü* ~Glen~

Maria Sabina R. said...

SO beautiful and dark! great job!!! thanks for sharing your creation at SDC

sixofone aka Leah said...

That is a fabulous piece Ali.

Suzy said...

Love, love, love it Ali, its stunning

Julia S-W said...

Wow! How fab is that piece! I do love their stamps but don't own any yet myself. Thanks for your kind words on my blog. I shall visit you again!
Julia

Willy said...

What a beauty, love it! Thanks for joining us at SDC 49.

Willy said...

SDC 50 of course....

Kaz said...

I love how this turned out too! The layers of utee and glitter make such an interesting piece. Thanks for joining us at Stampotique.

Karen said...

I absolutely love the pendant Ali, plus I love Stampotiques ... a win win situation lol !!

Hermine said...

Absolutely gorgeous

trisha too said...

What a great watery effect!

:)

trisha too said...

What a great watery effect!

:)

Valerie H. Marshall said...

Ali, this is brilliant - no wonder you're wearing it already!! I love the colors and can just imagine how glittery it must be in person!! I'm so glad you joined us for the Stampotique Designer's Challenge this week!
Best of luck in the draw!
Val :)

Jane Wetzel said...

YOU bet they like it! :) I LOVE it! So glad u joined in with us at the Stampotique challenge with this very cool necklas!

joanne wardle said...

very cool, looks like she's encased in water. thanks for taking part in the stampotique challenge

Gez Butterworth said...

Wow! Gorgeous ♥

Thank you for joining the Stampotique Designers Challenge.

Basement Stamper said...

beautiful necklace, I love what you did with the image and making her look like she's in the water. Thanks for joining us at Stampotique Designer's Challenge.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...